Assistant Overnight Guide (AOG)
This course is delivered and instructed by Gabriola Sea Kayaking. The Sea Kayak Guides Alliance (SKGABC) of BC’s Assistant Overnight Guide (AOG) is designed for aspiring guides with intermediate paddling skills seeking to increase their skills and knowledge of sea kayaking, assist guiding overnight groups in Class II and III waters and lead groups in Class I waters.
The course offers the unique opportunity of learning how to negotiate the currents, tidal rapids and conditions found on the east side of Vancouver Island and the open and exposed west coast, for a comprehensive and challenging experience.
Taking place over 9 days, the course curriculum follows Sea Kayak Guides Alliance of BC (SKGABC) AOG standards. Successful candidates will receive SKGABC AOG certification. SKGABC certification is an industry standard for employment in the sea kayaking industry in BC and is well respected and recognized across Canada and internationally.
Note: A Marine VHF Radio Operator’s Licence and Wilderness First Aid are requirements of all certified guides with the SKGABC – these courses are not included in the AOG course.
Registration links will be sent out to eligible participants only. If you have any questions regarding registration, please email: email@example.com
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must be a Canadian citizen, have a Permanent Residency, Student Visa or Work Visa.
- Must be registered in, or have completed the Training Academy Essentials program (workshops and/or outdoor journey) prior to certification course start date.
- Preference will be given to Black, Indigenous, People of Color and 2SLGBTQ+ individuals.
- Must have current or future plans to work as an outdoor instructor or guide within the next year.
- You must have completed the Essentials Journey (coastal canoe or sea kayak) or give evidence of at least equivalent trip experience and have registered in the Essentials classroom.
- Successful applications will be notified by an email. Please note we require at least three weeks notice if you are unable to attend.